Organization: Santa Barbara Channelkeeper
Position: Stream Team Intern
Schedule: flexible, 10-15 hours/week, First Sunday of each month + Quarterly Saturday events required.
Compensation: $10.50/hr + mileage
Training is provided
The Stream Team Intern will assist Channelkeeper’s Watershed and Marine Programs Associate with implementing the Stream Team volunteer water quality monitoring program. Primary duties include:
- Maintenance, preparation, and calibration of materials and equipment for stream sampling events each month.
- Providing assistance, training, and supervision of volunteers during monitoring events.
- Analyzing water quality samples for indicator bacteria
- Data entry (approximately 15-20 hours/month)
- Conducting additional water quality monitoring, stream survey field work, and quality control activities as necessary.
- Assisting with Stream Team Outreach
Additional tasks may include:
- Conducting occasional water quality presentations for students.
- Assisting with Channelkeeper outreach and fundraising events.
- Assisting with other Channelkeeper events such as creek/beach cleanups.
- Current college student
- Ability to work highly independently in the office and in the field
- Attention to detail and reliability
- Willingness/ability to work the first weekend of each month.
- Ability to conduct fieldwork in creeks, which may include carrying equipment (up to 25 lbs), hiking up to 2 miles over uneven difficult terrain through wet, muddy, and overgrown areas.
- Valid driver’s license, insurance, and registration, along with access to a vehicle that can carry a minimum of three passengers to be used during monthly sampling events.
- Minimum of 1 year commitment
- Analytical background in environmental science, chemistry, biology or other related field (especially related to water quality and/or creek ecology).
- Experience with lab equipment and protocols
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and Access
- Experience conducting environmental education
- Experience interacting with and leading groups
- Knowledge of environmental policy
Please submit cover letter & resume to Jenna Discroll at email@example.com by 5 pm, Sept. 15, 2017.