The Scientific Dive Safety Course Fee Support Program was created by the UCSB Associated Students Coastal Fund to increase the accessibility of marine field research to UCSB undergraduate students who might be otherwise deterred by the high financial costs associated with UCSB’s scientific dive training program. The support will fully fund the course fees for 1-3 undergraduates for each of the Fall and Spring dive courses (exact number depends on availability of funds). If you are passionate about marine science but are limited by the costs of training, the Coastal Fund encourages you to consider applying to our fee support program.
Benefits of the course:
- American Association of Underwater Sciences (AAUS) Scientific diver certification
- NAUI Rescue and Enriched Air NITROX certification
- First Aid, CPR, AED and Oxygen safety certification
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Must be enrolled as a full time undergraduate at UCSB during the quarter in which the course will be taken and at least one quarter following
- Must meet all other course requirements set by the Dive Safety Officer, apply and be accepted into the course (though the application for fee support must be turned in before the class roster is finalized)
- Should intend on using scientific diving certification while still a student at UCSB and to support future career goals
Click here to apply for fee support for the Fall 2020 scientific dive course. The application deadline is June 15, 2020. While we are accepting applications now, this fall’s course is still tentative due to uncertainty around COVID-19. Please note, this link is ONLY for applying for fee support, you must apply for the course itself separately. Applications are reviewed after the class roster is finalized.
For a more personal look into the course, please check out our November 2019 newsletter!
Coastal Fund is a student-operated funding entity dedicated to supporting projects that preserve, protect and enhance local terrestrial and marine ecosystems. For more information, contact coastalfund(at)gmail(dot)com.