Coastal Fund Grant Program
You can access our application system here, but please review all the information below first!
Coastal Fund Mission and Values
Funding Eligibility and Guidelines
Application System Instructions
Before You Apply
- Review the Coastal Fund mission and values statement, Funding Deadlines, Funding Guidelines and our past Funded Projects and decide if you think Coastal Fund is a good fit for you. We make periodic updates to our guidelines, so we recommend checking them before each application.
- Review our Applicant Resources to learn more about the logistics of working with Coastal Fund and what will be expected of you. Again, we update these periodically so we recommend looking at them even if you are a repeat applicant.
- If you aren’t sure if Coastal Fund is the right fit for you, you can contact the Coastal Fund advisor Sarah at sarahs (at) as.ucsb.edu for insights.
- If you would like to move forward with an application for funding, continue on to the steps below outlining the full Coastal Fund process from application to grant close and contact coastalfund (at) as.ucsb.edu with any questions.
The Application Process
- Submit a Coastal Fund Grant application through our online application system. For detailed instructions on navigating this system, check our Online Application System Walkthrough.
- If you submitted a minor application ($1000 or less), we will contact you at the end of the academic quarter (typically December, March, or June depending on the cycle) with our decision. Skip to step 5.
- If you submitted a major application (over $1000), our student administrative coordinator will contact you within a few days to schedule a day and time for you to present your project to the Coastal Fund Board. All presentations occur during Coastal Fund weekly meetings, which are Tuesday evenings and held over Zoom. The Board will have read your application ahead of time. Applicants are allocated half an hour during which time they are expected to present their project (10-15 minutes) and answer any Board questions (10-15 minutes).
- The Board will continue to review applications and will not make any decisions until the end of the quarter. You will be notified if your request has been approved at this time.
- If you are approved, you will be sent a grant agreement detailing your approved funding totals and terms of approval. If you agree to the terms and would like to accept funding, sign and return the agreement to Coastal Fund.
- Coastal Fund staff will process all documentation and will distribute funding to your department or organization. You can start your project!
The Implementation Process
- Funding for your project is held by your department or organization, which is responsible for all hiring, payments, and recordkeeping. Follow your internal policies related to these issues and the Coastal Fund guidelines, but otherwise get your project going!
- You may email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, concerns, or requests to change scope or funding allocations at any point during the project.
- At the beginning of the month of the first check-in deadline noted in your grant agreement, a Coastal Fund staff member will reach out to you to schedule a meeting time as well as details for what the check-in will include. Meetings are typically held over Zoom.
- During your check-in Coastal Fund staff will inquire about your project, if you are encountering any challenges we can assist with, and if you have any questions. If you need to modify your project in a way that requires Board approval, they will note your request, take it to the Board, and let you know if the change is approved.
- Continue your project!
- Your second check in will be scheduled for near the end of your funding timeline. The scheduling process will be similar to the first check in, but we will focus more on your expected outcomes and any remaining details needed to complete the project. We may also discuss what to do with any remaining funds. If you need more time to complete your project, Coastal Fund staff will note your need and go to the Board to request an extension on your behalf.
- If needed, Coastal Fund staff will inform you if your extension request is approved and will schedule an additional check-in for your new project end date.
- When the project and final check-in is completed, or if the Board denies an extension request, Coastal Fund staff will send you a form to document your expenses. This form will be due 30 days after it is sent to you by our staff.
- Once your form is submitted, Coastal Fund will review it and follow up with any questions or notify you that it has been approved and your grant is considered closed. Congratulations!