Santa Barbara Channelkeeper
Job title: Communications and Development Coordinator
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Santa Barbara Channelkeeper (SBCK) is a grassroots non-profit organization dedicated to protecting and restoring the Santa Barbara Channel and its watersheds through science-based advocacy, education, fieldwork and enforcement. SBCK is a member of the international Waterkeeper Alliance and, like the 320+ other Waterkeepers around the world, works on the water and in our local communities to monitor local waterways, restore aquatic ecosystems, advocate for clean water, enforce environmental laws, and educate and engage citizens in identifying and devising solutions to local pollution problems.
The Communications and Development Coordinator works with the Executive Director and the Development Director to generate awareness and support for SBCK in the community through social media, earned media, our website, video, newsletters, media kits and other marketing and communications tools.
The Communications and Development Coordinator is responsible for managing SBCK’s external communications and providing administrative support to the Executive Director and Development Director. The principal duties of the position include:
- Work with staff to create and execute strategies to enhance visibility, increase media coverage and expand public awareness and support for SBCK and our issues.
- Develop content for and oversee production and distribution of all external communications (paper and e-newsletters, brochures, flyers, postcards, press releases, etc.).
- Create in-house marketing and outreach materials.
- Oversee development of content for and regularly update SBCK’s website and social media platforms and develop and execute strategies to increase traffic and engagement on SBCK’s website and social media feeds.
- Enhance SBCK’s social media presence, including maintaining and growing our presence and following on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Develop and maintain current media database, media kits and article archive.
- Assist with tabling at community events to increase awareness about SBCK and our issues and recruit new members and volunteers.
- Fully understand and be able to articulate the mission of the organization and be able to clearly describe all SBCK programs.
- Assist the Development Director with execution of all direct mail appeals, including database management and mail merge.
- Maintain and update donor records in donor database (eTapestry) to track all contributions, run donor / donation reports, and generate donation acknowledgement letters.
- Assist with event coordination and execution.
- Maintain email distribution list (Constant Contact).
- Manage, update and generate SBCK mailing lists.
- Make sure all communications, images, logos, design, advertisements, etc. are current and consistent.
- Maintain office supplies.
- Filing and other administrative duties as required.
- Minimum 2 years experience in communications and/or administrative support.
- She/he will be personable, energetic, creative, well-organized, detail-oriented, independent, flexible and hard-working.
- She/he will have a strong commitment to environmental / public interest work.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal), exceptional attention to detail, good people skills, a sense of humor and the ability to function in a small office, highly collaborative team environment.
- Computer proficiency in a PC environment is a must, particularly Excel, Access and mail merge.
- Familiarity with the following is strongly preferred: website administration (content management system), social media and graphic design.
- Familiarity with and passion about local environmental/water quality issues is a plus.
Competitive non-profit salary commensurate with experience; benefits
Email a cover letter, resume, writing sample and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
For more information about Santa Barbara Channelkeeper, please visit www.sbck.org.
Santa Barbara Channelkeeper is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.